Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Airing My Dirty Laundry

When I first found out I was pregnant, I did all the research there was on parenting and labor and birth and baby products and breastfeeding and diapers and so on and on and onnnnnnnnnn. There were some things I found ridiculous and other that I was dead set on doing. Cloth diapers is one of the latter. However, we were living in an apartment without a washer and dryer, so I pretty much gave up. That is until we moved to Denver and praise The Lord on high we have a laundry room! Back on the cloth train, we went!

My desire for doing cloth has basically nothing to do with the environment (I don't even recycle..) but everything to do with saving money! On average, by using cloth diapers from birth to potty training a family can save like $2,000!!! Per. Kid. I don't know about you but i could stand to save a few grand! Honorable mentions go to: quicker potty training, less diaper rash, no blowouts and cute bum factor.

In most of my research, I found that the average cloth diaper stash costs around $500. Although that's only a few months worth of disposable diapers, it was still too much for my bargain lovin heart. So, I set out to buy a stash of diapers under $200. And you beta believe I did it for even less than that (I know, call me pro)! 


Here's what I have:
24 (new) Indian prefolds from cottonbabies.com -$36 (infant size, trifolded)
8 Flip covers - (5 used for $25) (3 new for $15 on Black Friday)
10 Alva pocket diapers (new) -$50
14 fitted diapers (bought used and I don't use them really ever) -$20
6 (used) Rumparooz covers -$20 

I used the Rumparooz covers for a few days and they leaked every time because I just couldn't get them to fit Cana well. So I sold them on eBay for $50!!! So awesome! Grand total: $116!!!

The Diapers:
Here is an empty flip cover! I love the two button closures and the adjustable rise. These also have a fabric flap inside on the front and back to help prevent blowouts! And they work!!!

Here is an empty Alva pocket diaper. The three button closure gives a better leg fit (for thin leg children) but since Cana is chunky, two would do the trick, so the third button just gets annoying. Gosh that sounds lazy! These are made in china, and are every bit as amazing as the non china diapers but 1/4th of the cost! Highly recommended if you're a pocket diaper lover! 

This is my diaper drawer! So fancy. 
-On the far left, I stack microfiber inserts for the alva pocket diapers. Cana is a heavy wetter so I stuff two per diaper when I use the Alvas. 
-Next are the diapers! I never pre-stuff them, so all 18 fit in one little box (it's laundry day, so there are only a few in there now)
-Next is a stack of disposable diapers for night time use. We use pampers swaddlers because the hospital got us hooked on them... And when a box lasts you monthsssss, you're willing to pay the big bucks. 
-On the far right is where I stack the prefolds. Forgive the stains on the top one... It snowed last week when I washed it so I couldn't hang it in the sun to bleach out the stains... Sorry. But you can see the lovely white mesh fabric my mom sewed on! It's perfect!
-Lastly, you can see a flip cover hanging over the side of the drawer. The best part about Flips is that the covers can be reused a few times before washing! Because the inside is waterproof, I just wipe it down after I change her (if she just peed, no poop) and hang it to dry a bit before the next diaper change. Totally saves laundry and money! 

Getting Started: 
We started using cloth diapers when Cana turned two months old. Before that, she was so tiny, the diapers wouldn't fit right, we had been gifted a ton of disposables from showers, and I was still getting used to having a baby. I couldn't dream of starting a new adventure until I got the hang of having her around! At first we just used cloth during the day when we were at home. Now, we use them full time during the day (out and about and at home) but we still use disposable at night. Cana is still a strange sleeper so until she starts sleeping a little more solidly at night, we'll stick with disposable. I never change her diaper at night, so I'm ok with using ONE disposable diaper a day. That still saves us a ton of money!

Washing:
When I tell people we use cloth, they think about poop and stink and touching poop. Not. At. All. Seriously, I've only touched Cana's poop a few times in her life and it was only when she had major blowouts in her disposable diapers and I had to peel her clothes off of her... Ugh. But with cloth, she's never had a blowout! EVER! And because she is breastfed, her solids aren't solid and they dissolve in water. So I take the diaper off, put it in the pail and every few days I throw them in the wash. Done.

I was most worried about washing the diapers, since I hate laundry, but I've discovered that her diapers are my favorite laundry to do. Because it's soooo easy! I throw them all in the washer and set it for a rinse and spin on cold (this helps with stains). When that's done, I add a small amount of Country Save detergent and set the washer to heavy, hot and add an extra rinse at the end. When they're done, I hang everything to dry on a rack and sometimes put them away when they're dry. However, usually I say, "hey Frankie, grab me a flip cover and prefold from the drying rack please!" 

The best part? Our apartments pay our water bill! Even more of a money saver! #win

Cons of Cloth:
There aren't many cons in my opinion, but on the days I run out of clean diapers I kinda think about the ease of disposables but then I realize it takes two seconds to throw them in the wash... So, I get off my lazy butt and do it. 

Frankie isn't the best at putting on cloth diapers... Granted, it took him quite a while to get decent at putting on disposables so I can't blame him. So usually I'm the diaper changer, but it's seriously not bad at all. People who complain about diaper changes need to suck it up. It's your baby. You get to see they're cute bum. And I always throw in a tummy tickle for good measure. Cana loves playing and laughing during her changes and it's become one of my favorite times with her. No joke. 

Another con I've found with cloth is actually fixed now, so it's not really a con anymore. But, because I use 100% cotton prefolds inside our flip covers, the cotton doesn't pull away moisture from Cana's skin and therefore gives her a bit of a rash. I hated the idea of having to buy the expensive "stay dry" inserts or switch back to disposable because of the rash, so I did some research and found a solution! My mom, actually, went to the fabric store and bought a thin mesh fabric (specifically for cloth diapers) and sewed a rectangle onto each prefold in the center. Problem solved with $3 worth of fabric and a very crafty mother! The mesh pulls the wetness down into the cotton, leaving her skin feel oh so dry! Woohoo! 

Conclusion:
(aka: what you've been waiting for...)
I am absolutely in love with cloth diapers. I don't think I'll ever switch back to disposables, full time, with Cana or any future children we might have. The affordability, ease, and containment cloth diapers provide is just too good to pass up! Plus, I love how Cana's belly hangs over the front and how massive her bum looks from behind! 


If you ever want to talk diapers, let me know. I'll clear my schedule. 
Signed,
Obsessed

1 comment: