Thursday, February 19, 2015

This Cross

Last night, I stood in our kitchen, before putting Cana to bed, and prayed over my husband. He prayed over me and together we laid our hands in our squirming girl and asked God to bless her sleep. 

Frankie was finishing dishes. Cana was starving. And I was ready to relax. But we made time. Everything stopped for a minute so we could pray together as a family. Ideally, we would sit in a space designated for prayer, all distractions would be gone, and it would last more than a few minutes. But last night, that sole minute of quick prayer in the kitchen before bed was enough. It is exactly what our family needed. 

Since we got married, we've strived to incorporate praying together into our daily life. Honestly though, we've failed quite often. But we aren't prefect, so it's ok. As long as we continuously try, right? And that's the beauty of Lent. 

Lent gives us a chance to restart. To change. To convert. To pick up our cross, again, continue walking toward Christ. Just as Christ calls us to do in today's Gospel reading (Luke 9:22-25). 

I'm so glad I've been graced with a husband who is always there to help me carry my cross. When I fall, he helps me up. When I stray, he points me in the right direction. Our family is better because of him and his unending desire for Heaven. 


3 comments:

  1. Love this. That verse was our "household verse" at FUS. Love hearing it every single time. And every time God has a new little nugget of knowledge and love to show me through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beginning with Cana indeed. I know God blesses your efforts at praying together as a family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the cross is daily. And how wonderful that you are following His call in the little things!

    ReplyDelete