Monday, September 22, 2014

Sweet Slumber

Having a baby means sleep habits change. Dramatically!
The first night in the hospital with Cana was les Mis! She slept about 30 minute chunks and wanted to nurse for EVER in between her cat naps. Frankie and I were pretty terrified that we were in for a rough run. However, by the grace of God, the next night (and almost every night since) when we got home, Cana slept four hours straight, woke up to eat and then slept another two hours. She's been pretty consistent in her sleeping lengths and we are so grateful!

Although, I'm grateful for her length of sleeping times, I'm struggling with her pure hatred for sleeping anywhere but my arms. Sometimes she'll sleep with her daddy or another comforting visitor, but rarely does she sleep away from a warm body. My shoulders are tight as can be after two weeks of sleeping hunched over (but it's so worth it)!


The one exception to the warm body rule is the car seat! My goodness do we have a girl who is madly in love with transportation! She falls asleep in the car seat before we even make it down to the car from our apartment and praise Jesus, she stays asleep for a very long time! Because of her love for sleeping propped up in a bouncing vehicle, we decided to buy a vibrating bouncer this weekend. I hoped (with all the optimism in the world) that I'd lay her in it for the first time and she would pass right out. Ha! No amount of optimism could make my life that easy though! She screamed until I caved (nearly a whole 30 seconds later) and rocked her to sleep in my arms... However, once she is asleep, I've begun placing her in the swing or bouncer in hopes that she won't notice my trickery and stay sleeping. So far it's worked a (very small baby sized) hand full of times and I'm ok with that. Baby steps!

As much as my shoulders hurt. As tired as I am. As cold as my shoulders get at night from not being covered by a blanket, it's worth it.

I am in no rush to get my baby to sleep in some other vessel. She slept within my womb for nine months and I can't believe how much I miss holding her constantly. I know a time will come when she won't want to snuggle with her mommy. She will one day be able to fall asleep on her own, in her big girl bed, in her own room and won't need her mommy. So until then, I'll take the hunched shoulders and cold nights. I'll receive them gladly. Because my baby is only a baby for so long. She's already changing so much and I refuse to complain about anything that will eventually vanish from her routine.

So, little sleeper, snuggle close. Breathe me in and know I am here. Loving every moment of these nights with you.



No comments:

Post a Comment