Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Strangest Inspiration


Today, I made banana bread, did laundry and finally picked a pediatrician for Cana when she's born. That all took me until noon... Still hours before Frankie would be home from work! Being home alone, waiting for this baby girl to arrive, is brutal and finding ways to keep busy is getting difficult. Just as I was about to start my fourth episode of the ever so trashy, Gossip Girl on netflix, I decided that maybe there was a better way I could spend my afternoon.

I turned on some Audrey Assad (always my go to inspiration music), and just sat. I thought about reading one of the many amazing books that are collecting dust on my bookshelf. I opened my Bible, read a bit, then closed it. I thought about the happenings of the world right now: destruction, death, confusion. Then I sat some more. Just listening to the beautiful sounds of a woman who is about as blessed as they come when it comes to vocal cords.

Nothing was working. I couldn't sink into any type of good prayer or thought that held me for than a minute or two...

I got restless and so I went into the nursery. I looked at Cana's bookshelf and picked out one of her "Jesus books" randomly. I started flipping through the pages of the literary gold that is "Gods promises for Kids" and stumbled upon some of the most cheesy, yet true and adorable, words.

Various bible verses dotted the pages, alongside pictures of cartoon cats, trees, butterflies and homes. The best part though? Phrases that talked about the bible verse in the most perfect rhymes!



"Jesus wants to live in my heart. So I will say, "okay, come in." That's my part!"

Probably the best sentence ever! (Oh and someone remind me to get into writing children's books... I could totally do that!)

But really though, how awesome and simple does that sound. Is it really that easy? Sometimes, especially on days like today, when I find myself just sitting, I think it's so hard to let God in and open myself up to some good prayer. In reality though, this cheesy little book has it absolutely correct. "Okay, come in" is all I really need to say. It's all God wants from me as I sit. That is my part, He will take over from there.

So here's to you, little book! You've accomplished something today that I'm sure you never thought you do: inspire a grown woman to open her heart to the Lord in the simplest of ways. Bravo!

No comments:

Post a Comment